Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A new journey begins.



6 months ago I found myself on a journey that has changed my life. An incredible journey with Team in Training. I joined Team in Training for a few reasons:
  • To cross something off my life list
  • To be a part of something far bigger than myself
  • To raise money and awareness for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
  • To do something in honor and memory of my dad, who lost his 5 month battle to Non-Hodgkin T-cell Lymphoma on January 7, 2011.
When I got that call from Team in Training, prior to signing up, providing me with information about the cause, not even a minute into the conversation I was already searching for my wallet, finding my credit card, ready to sign up! I knew that at that moment it was important and the perfect time for me to join the INCREDIBLE TEAM. Little did I know just how remarkable the ride would be. As difficult as it was losing my dad, and as fresh as the wound was, I thought this would be a great way to honor my dad’s memory as well as heal my heart. Before Team in Training, after my dad passed I had more bad days than good, I had more tears shed than I could ever imagine, I had my spirit withering away and I had a heart breaking with every passing day. But from that first practice, that moment I met my Team--- everything changed. To witness such passion from teammates, to see their drive, their courage, their strength, their unbelievable support, to listening to their inspiring words—it is truly a site to see, it is ELECTRIFYING and I think it’s contagious! My journey with my amazing TEAM has brought me such joy.. it has given me more good days than bad, more smiles than tears, a spirit fully alive and on fire, and a heart being put back together each passing day. I am honored to be a part of the team, to stand in their midst, to fight with them by my side for a cure, to be a CANCER KILLER and to call them my TNT family! I met amazing people through Team in Training-- and I know I will forever have a bond with them all. With the help of incredible coaches, staff, and teammates, I was able to train and complete not one, but TWO HALF MARATHONS. The Disneyland 1/2 Marathon September 4, 2011 and The Nike Women's 1/2 Marathon October 16, 2011 while raising $5,485.18 for LLS. Both events were absolutely AMAZING. There are no words to truly explain just how awesome the experiences were. I am happy to say I did what I set out to do, I met incredible people along the way, I ran the farthest I ever have, TNT helped me grieve and gain strength from losing my dad.. my life has been forever changed.And although that season with Team in Training has ended, the bonds and memories will last forever. Those were truly 5 of the most incredible and eye-opening months of my life, that will ALWAYS and forever have place in my heart.

But a new journey has begun. Another journey with Team in Training, I have come back another season but this time as a mentor. Definitely a different journey but a great journey. My experience last season was so amazing that I HAD to come back. I am ready to grow, ready to train, ready to make new friends, and make people more aware of TNT and LLS!

Here is to the journey! Time to take that first step!

No comments:

Post a Comment