Sunday, January 1, 2012

Goodbye 2011, Hello 2012



 2011 started off extremely difficult. Watching my dad in pain as cancer was weakening him, spending his last few days together, and seeing him pass away early on January 7th. It was definitely a life changing moment. And I didn't expect my year to start off in that way. I could not picture how life could go on, if my dad wasn't around. How would we be able to continue without my dad by our side. I knew our lives wouldn't be the same but we would have to continue on somehow. It was a challenging year with many firsts. With every month anniversary and every holiday that passed my heart broke a bit. I had felt a constant longing for my dad. For another hug. Another smile. Another moment together. 
After months of sadness I decided I had wanted to do something for my dad. To keep his memory alive in me. So that is when I came across TEAM IN TRAINING. An amazing group that trains for endurance events while raising money for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I signed up to train for 2 half marathons with the team! I raised $5,485.18 and I successfully completed two half marathons (Disneyland half marathon &  Nike Women's half marathon). I accomplished things I never thought possible! I ran more miles in 2011 than my 23 other years combined. I met an incredibly inspiring group of people who I am blessed to call my TNT family. I learned a lot about myself and about different types of cancer. I heard many inspiring, heartwarming, as well as heart breaking stories. I found a sense of healing. I found a source of adrenaline. I found a fire in myself. I found passion. I found drive. I found strength. I found a spirit unlike any other.  I found that its okay to cry, to release those tears. I started 2011 crying only tears of sadness but after joining team in training I have now cried tears of happiness and found a sense of incredible accomplishment. I did what I set out to do! I ran my 1/2 marathons, I did them for my dad, I kept his spirit alive in me. I crossed those finish lines. I became a CANCER KILLER
I continue to be a cancer killer! I have set out to run another 1/2 marathon with Team in Training as well as taking on my very first full marathon in 2012! 2011 was definitely a journey with hardships but accomplishments as well. I am ready for what 2012 has to offer! I am ready to see what this year brings! I am ready to run more miles!
This year for my New Years Resolution, I will be running at least 1 mile everyday, for the entire year! 366 days to be exact!!! It will be a challenge but I am up for it! The hardest part in running is getting out that front door! But I WILL!!!!!! 


I am ready for a year of more smiles, laughs, and joy!

Here is to 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment